Looking for orchestrators
Synchestra is developing an app aimed at musicians who want to play / sing a work for solo and orchestra: the musician plays / sings the solo part live, and the digital orchestra is rendered with our app. Our development work is partially funded by the Flemish government (see https://www.vlaio.be/en/subsidies).
We are seeking the collaboration of about 10 orchestrators, who can orchestrate a classical concerto. (You may be used to the expression "creating mock-ups".) Orchestrating means in this context:
- choosing the VI's that in your opinion match the best way to the composer's original ideas (we do NOT make transcriptions for other instruments than those intended originally by the composer);
- adding the dynamics, tempo variations, musical phrasing and humanisation, in a sophisticated yet natural sounding way, so that classical musicians will not easily detect that it is not played by live musicians.
What we expect from you:
- You (have) play(ed) classical music (even if it is as an amateur, that's ok), and if you (have) play(ed) in an ensemble, that's a plus.
- Academic music studies are a plus.
- You have a feeling for the special atmosphere on a concert stage (as a performer, or as a regular concert attendee).
- You have proven experience in orchestrating classical music, or contemporary music in classical style.
- When you have finished the orchestration of a composition, you hand over the project files used for the orchestration, and you tell us what exact VI's you were using (so that we can replicate your work exactly at our side); in your project, each instrument remains on a separated audio / MIDI track.
What you get to start with:
- You receive the orchestral score of a concerto or opera aria in pdf format.
- You receive a MIDI file containing all individual orchestral instruments in separate channels.
What we offer you:
- the participation in an incredibly innovative project
- you become a contributing member of the Synchestra community;
- the recognition for your contribution;
- a correct financial reward.
If you are interested, please send us your cv, your three preferred classical composers, and information about the hardware and software configuration of your DAW, and a reference portfolio (a list of URL's is ok), to
Chief Musical Officer